If you are so deeply inspired by the artistic practices (not just visual art, but all channels of creative expression) of PoC cultures, then you need to understand several things.
1) Chances are, these artistic practices, have never been recognized as legitimate due to our Eurocentric fixation on what qualifies as art. Meaning that they’ve rarely been giving the proper respects they deserved when handled by outsider hands.
2) And not only that, but the people that created and nurtured these practices have probably been abused and marginalized for indulging and preserving these traditions. So most likely, the people who practice these traditions are highly protective of it. It’s tied to who they are as people and as a part of their culture. You do not fuck around with things like this. No matter how frivolous it might seem to you.
3) Regardless of how much you appreciate these artistic practices, remember that it is not your cultural practice and you’ll never be more of an expert at these practices, than someone’s who been surrounded by it their entire lives.
4) If you are going to indulge in these practices then before you even attempt at recreating these practices, properly educate yourself on them from someone from the culture invovled and is actually involved in it.
5) Recognize that you are a guest and conduct yourself accordingly.
6) Regularly recognize that the practice is not your own, actively an accurately acknowledge the culture that you’ve learned from
7) Recognize that part of respecting another culture is understanding that you are not owed access to other cultures simply because of your “appreciation”.
8) No is a complete sentence. You were never entitled to these cultures in the first place. Respect the boundaries that may be put in place at all times.
If you cannot understand any and all of these points, you do not posses the sufficient amount of respect or maturity required of an artist. Period.